Monday, July 2, 2007

Mundane Monday Can Serve As Hump Day Until July 4th !

Normally, Mondays are a bit mundane, but I'm going to use today as a "hump day" to Wednesday, our normal "hump day". Wednesday is July the Fourth and will take the starring role this week. I've always liked the Fourth of July, because it's one of the few holidays that hasn't been moved to Monday. There's bar-b-cues and parties, fireworks and pagentry, the whole nine yards. It falls where it falls, which is as it should be. Please be aware that it's also a dangerous day to drive.

I realized, yesterday, that it's been years since I've has a popsicle. I'm not even aware if they're still sold. I do remember waiting for the ice cream man on his tricycle and in later years, the ice cream truck. The Good Humor man was the star of our neighborhood.

The popsicles had two sticks and it took an artisan to split it into two popsicles. Having little money, on many occasions we had to split one. I, being the oldest, had to perform the operation and if it broke in half (from top to bottom instead of side to side), I had to give the bottom (stick part) to my brother or sister. Many times I was stuck with the top half with no stick.

They cost a nickel and we would go out hunting pop bottles and bring them to the local store to cash them in. On a good day, we'd  find enough bottles to get money, so we bought different flavors. split them and then traded.Then there was Kool Aid popsicles you made yourself, but that's another story.........

The Pictures: Just a few I picked out. Some funny, some pretty... Oh yeah, and the "usual suspects".

AREA 51 Report: We are searching for a watering hole to house our aliens until Krystel's re-opens under new ownership and name in August. I hope to be emailing you with a temporary site before Friday. 

This Date In History: 1881; President James A. Garfield, waiting for a train, is shot by Charles Guiteau. He dies of his wounds on September 19. 1937; Pioneer aviatrix Amelia Earhart and navigator Frederick J. Noonan disappear without a trace in the South Pacific while attempting to fly around the world.

Birthdays: Thurgood Marshall, lawyer and Supreme Court Justice (1908), Richard Petty, seven time Nascar auto racing champion (1937).

The Hits Just Keep On Coming:

Did you hear about the new cleaning product? It's called Bachelor. It works fast and leaves no ring.

The young lad asked his stepfather, "Which sexual position creates the ugliest children?' The stepfather replied, " I don't know, go ask your mother."   

That's it for today, my little sparklers. More tomorrow.

Stay Tuned ! 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We used to make popsicles with Kool-aide. Really great on a 100 degree day! My favorites were orange and grape. That was what they were called. Today they have orangatang orange or something like that.....
Hope your humpday Monday was good!!
Jackie

Anonymous said...

My mom always told us, when we had to share...that one breaks it in half and the other chooses which one to take.  That might have worked better for ya!

Nancy

Anonymous said...

HA! Good to see ya. We must be from the same era, because those popsicles memories sure rang a bell!

We'll have to remember to hold a Centennial for Thurgood this time next year!

Anonymous said...

They still sell popsicles...yep! But, now I think they are individually wrapped so you don't have to break them. Ruins all of the fun!
Hope you find a good place to hang with your friends for July. Loved your pics today....as always.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Now look what you did, the next time I go grocery shopping I'm going to be looking for popcicles. I did the same thing you did when I was younger. I had to share mine with my brother. Loved the pictures. The one with the lane going through the autumn trees is awesome. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Do you think perhaps Amelia Earhart and Frederick j. Noonan just found somewhere better and didn't bother returning to the rat race?
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard