Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Have A Happy Fifth On The Fourth !

It's a wet one here, so that'll be the theme for today. I hope everyone's having a sunny and dry holiday ! Personally, I've partied enough the last few days and I'm just chillin' today.

News from AREA 51:  The Alibi is the new restaurant which will occupy the site formerly known as Krystel's. It will feature seafood and is expected to open in August.

Yesterday, the headline of my journal was a parody from a renown big band leader and his song. It is the punchline of an old joke about singing cowboy film star, Roy Rogers and his wife, Dale Evans, to wit:

Roy Rogers had just finished shinning his new boots and went inside the ranchhouse to get some water. When he returned, he saw a mountain lion chewing his brand new boots. The cat bolted when he saw Roy and he went inside to get his guns. When Dale Evans saw him steaming and putting on his guns, she asked what happened. Roy told her the story and said he was going to hunt the mountain lion down.

Roy soon returned carrying the huge dead cat on his shoulder. As Dale Evans walked out the door, she sang out, "Pardon Me Roy, is that the cat that chewed your new shoes".

The parody is based on the song recorded by bandleader, Glen Miller, entitled, "Chattanooga Choo Choo". Miller was killed during World War II, in an airplane crash while serving his country. July the Fourth, besides being the date of The Declaration of Independence, is a fine day to remember all our troops who served or are serving our nation.

I've located a video of Chattanooga Choo Choo with Glen Miller (the trombone player in the suit) and featuring the beautiful and talented, Dorothy Dandridge and the fabulous Nicholas Brothers. A final note, listen to the first stanza when Ms. Dandridge begins to sing and then you will understand the joke and the parody.

 

                        

The Pictures: Since wet is the theme, we'll start with a picture of Isla Verde, Puerto Rico, which is next to San Juan. My pal Tanya sent it to me. I've been there several times and it's quite exquisite. We'll go underwater and see some coral, seaturtles, sawfish and a baby Manta Ray. Next, there's some redneck humor from one of my pals. They say you shouldn't talk about rednecks unless you are one. Well, I are one !

This Date In History: 1776; The American Continental Congress votes to approve the Declaration of Independence. 1826; Fifty years to the day after the approval of the Declaration of Independence, former Presidents Thomas Jefferson and John Adams die on the same day. 1934; Chemist Marie Curie, who discovered radium, dies of leukemia.

Birthdays: Stephen Foster, songwriter (1826), Calvin Coolidge, former President of the Unites States (1872), Louis B. Mayer, film executive (1885), Ann Landers, Columnists (1918), Brad Migone (deceased), son of one of my best friends. Happy Birthday, my son, rest in peace.

Boots Randolf, saxaphone great, died yesterday at the age of 80.

The Hits Just Keep On Coming: D E F I N I T I O N S

Thanks to my sister, Jeanne! 

Adult: One who has stopped growing at both ends and is now growing in the middle. Beauty Parlor: A place where women curl up and dye. Cannibal: A person who is fed up with people. Chickens: The only animal you eat before it's born and after it dies. Committee: A body that keeps minutes and wastes hours. Dust: Mud with the juice squeezed out. Egotist: Someone usually in me deep conversation. Hankerchief: Cold storage. Inflation: Money cut in half without damaging the paper. Mosquito: An insect that makes you like flies better. Raisin: Grape with a sunburn. Secret: Something you tell one person at a time. Skeleton: A bunch of bones with the person scraped off. Toothache: The pain that drives you to extraction. Tomorrow: One of the great labor saving devices of today. Wrinkles: Something other people have. I have character lines. Yawn: An honest opinion openly expressed.

That's it for today, my hot little firecrackers. More tomorrow.

Stay Tuned !  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My computer is running slow right now, but i watched the video twice. The brothers were in perfect syink with each other! I've always enjoyed watching them dance. I did get the parody that time!! Dad says hello and thank you!
BTW, I is one tooooooooooooooo............!
Jackie

Anonymous said...

I promise that I didn't peak at this entry to get the answer for the previous one. And I love that you explained it.  Anne