Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Childhood Days: Saturday Cartoons And Movies

Well, it's Hump Day and a trip to AREA 51 would really make my day, but alas, the chances of making happy hour today look bleak. It seems that every time I put out a fire, a new one is kindled. I feel like a one-legged Irishman in an ass-kicking contest. But fear not, my little rose buds, I am making every attempt to finish up and head over to Lakes Cafe. Ship happens, as they say in the yacht business.

Saturday morning cartoons and television shows were always something to look forward to when I was a puppy. I remember getting up early in the morning and watching the test pattern until the station came on the air. There were always cartoons, including Tom and Jerry, Mighty Mouse, Woody Woodpecker, Bugs Bunny and The Roadrunner.

Then the shows came on. We would watch The Buster Brown Show, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, Sky King and The Little Rascals (Our Gang). The Three Stooges were always a treat when they would come on periodically, but they never came on consistently.

If we were really lucky, we'd go to the movie theater. That was almost an all day affair as we would watch the cartoons first, then the Movietone News reel and then the serial, which was a half hour continuing short movie that always left you hanging (so that you would return the following week).

Finally, the "feature" movie would come on. Since it was the closest theater within bicycle distance, we never bothered to see what was playing because just going to the movies was an event unto itself. I saw "Carousel" and "Oklahoma" when they first came out at that theater and I remember being surprised, then angry, thatthe actors would stop in the scene and start singing for no apparent reason. Musicals never were one of my favorites.

Those days were innocent and bring back fond memories. We would ride our bikes to the movies (which was a mile away) and leave our bikes outside in the rack unlocked. The theater was our playground all day long and we sometimes watched the featured movie twice. Then, just before it got dark, we'd ride home, happy as larks.

It's a shame that the good kids of today can't enjoy similar experiences. With the street monkeys of lurking in every nook and cranny waiting to rob someone or steal something, it's unsafe for children to go anywhere without adult supervision.

                                                  Photobucket

The Pictures: Both My Perfect Martini and my pal, Anne, sent me some neat pictures of fruits and vegetables that take on a distinct personality. I don't know who created these shots, but I'm sure you'll find them interesting.

This Date In History: 1789; George Washington is inaugurated as the first president of the United States in New York City. 1803; The United States more than doubles its size with the Louisiana Purchase, a vast territory bought from France for $15 million dollars. 1812; The territory of Orleans enters the Union as the 18th state, the state of Louisiana. 1939; Franklin D. Roosevelt is the first U.S. president to appear on television when NBC begins broadcasting with live coverage of the New York World's Fair. 1945; Refusing to surrender after Germany is defeated by Allied forces at the end of World War II, German dictator Adolf Hitler commits suicide in his Berlin bunker. 1975; The Vietnam War ends when Duong Van Minh, president of South Vietnam, surrenders unconditionally to North Vietnamese forces.

Birthdays: Mary II, queen of England, Scotland and Ireland (1662), Franz Lehar, composer (1870), Willie Nelson, singer and songwriter (1933), Don Schollander, Olympic swimmer (1946), Isaah Thomas, professional basketball player (1961).

The Hits Just Keep On Coming: The

A man walks into a bar. He sees a good looking, smartly dressed woman perched on a bar stool. He walks up behind her and says: "Hi there good looking, how's it going?"

She turns around, faces him, looks him straight in the eye and says: "Listen, I'll screw anybody, anytime, anywhere, your place, my place, it doesn't matter. I've been doing it ever since I got out of college. I just flat out love it." He says: "No kidding?, I'm a lawyer too! What firm are you with?"

A blind man walks into a bar, makes his way to a bar stool and orders a drink. After sitting there for a while, he yells to the bartender. "Hey, You wanna hear a blonde joke?"

The bar immediately falls absolutely quiet. In a very deep, husky voice, the woman next to him says, "Before you tell that joke, sir, I think it is only fair that you should know five things.

Number one, the bartender is a blonde girl with a baseball bat.

Number two, the bouncer is a blonde girl.

Number three, I'm a six-foot-tall, 175 lb. Blonde woman with a black belt in karate.

Number four, the woman sitting next to me is blonde and a professional weightlifter.

Number five, the lady to your right is blonde and a professional wrestler.

She concludes by smugly asking, "Now think about it seriously, mister, do you still wanna tell that joke?"

The blind man thinks for a second, shakes his head and mutters, "Nah, not if I'm gonna have to explain it five times."

That's it for today my little lady bugs. More tomorrow.

Stay Tuned

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was not around during those all day theaters, you are right kids have it tough today.
my favorites was under dog,yogi bear, huckleberry hound and a few more.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the memories (music playing in the background.)After graduating from high school in 1960 & then in 1961 I was working as a long distance operator at the phone co.  As newbies all of us gals worked nasty split shifts so had from noon until 4pm free.  There were several us that shared an aprtment downtown and many afternoons found us at the movie matinee for a mere 50 cents.  Also while in high school the mom of my friend Barbara would take us to the movies on Saturday afternoon.  But not before she made many poppers full of buttered popcorn and poured it into a brown grocery bag to be passed back & forth while we watched the movie.  Now, I feel like a felon when I smuggle a bottle of water or a can of soda into the theater....it would probably be "off with my head" if I got caught.   Those were certainly the "good ole days" Jimmy...we were blessed to have lived during that time.   Linda..the little bit older than you lady in Washington state http://journals.aol.com/lsfp1960/LindasWorld/

Anonymous said...

Oh how I fondly remember our little "movie theater", the first movie I ever saw was "It came from beneath the sea" !  and the Second one was "The Blob"!

Our small town is lucky, the Movie Theater is still there, they don't show movies any more but they do have some nice shows there.

My favorite shows were in Black and white, we went to Grampa's Farm, did chores VERY, VERY early in the morning and then watched Hop-along-Cassidy, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, we would sing along to "Happy trails to you", Ozzie and Harriet, The Lone Ranger and Tonto, Texaco Star Theater,  Dragnet, Milton Berle, Red Skeldon, They all were great.

All my Grandson wants is "Spongebob Square Pants" !!!!!

take care

Gary  

Anonymous said...

When I was very young, I would watch cartoons, Johnny Quest, the EARLY Scooby Doo's, Yogi Bear, Bugs and the Roadrunner. Then, Skye King, Lone Ranger and THEN.... American BAndstand!!!! Wooooo Hoooooo!!!

Happy Hump Day, even if you are not going to Area 51!!!

Jackie

Anonymous said...

I remember those movie days too.  I think it cost a quarter or 35 cents. I loved ju-ju bees.  Popcorn was actually popped in the theater and I recall soft drinks were retrieved from a machine that a paper cup dropped down and then liquid would spray down into it.  I also remember the movie CURTAINS would pull back......always heavy velvet. You're right, it's too bad that kids can't experience that today.  I got to go alone (without parents) from the age of 9.  Can you imagine that today?    Good memories!   Anne

Anonymous said...

I remember all those Saturday morning cartoons also. I wasnt allowed to get up til 8 am though. I had to wait, and then I had to keep the tv really low and not be waking up Mama and Daddy. I thought you were older than me? I guess we are not so far apart in age or maybe they just played those cartoons for years and years. Remember when there was no cable or satellite tv? Remember the first video tape recorder? That big bulky BETA machine??? LOL...Happy Monday to you. Kelly

Anonymous said...

That is why kids are the way they are today they never got to experiemce that life
hugs
Sherry