Friday, April 25, 2008

Just Follow The Yellow Brick Road -or- At Least Keep It Between The White Lines !

T.G.I.F. has become the rallying cry in AREA 51 lately, especially with the current economy, gasoline prices and now food prices. I knew the food prices would being affected if nothing more than the mere fact that goods need to be transported to the various stores and fuel is an integral part of the delivery process. The thing that gets me is the current run on rice. Don't get me wrong, I like rice, but it never dawned on me that people would start storing up and hoarding rice.

But, it's Friday, my favorite day of the week and the cost of rice isn't really my number one thought, although I do like Saki. You may call it rice wine but it's Saki to me (if you never watched Rowan and Martin's "Laugh-In", this one will sail way over your head).

Current Plan A for tonight's adventures is to go to Lakes Cafe and Pub, where the very talented Gipsy will be hosting the karaoke show, both this evening and Saturday night. If last Friday is any indication, it should be a fun evening. Alternate Plan B is currently under consideration but nothing concrete has been determined.

Thursday evening: Last night, I was finally able see the lovely Rocio and we started out at Lakes Cafe for some drinks. We had postponed this date for two straight weeks due to schedules, but at last we hooked up and just goofed off for about an hour and a half, catching up on the happenings since we last went out.

From Lakes Cafe, we stopped by The Alibi so that Rocio could see the changes that were made since we last went there. We had an entertaining evening and I was able to take a few pictures with my cell phone, most of which didn't really come out as well as I had hoped, but pictures nonetheless. We always forget to bring a camera, so the cell phone camera had to suffice. Here's a couple of the better shots.

                     

                     

The good thing about my trusty camera phone is that it's always with me, and as you can see, I'm happy that it was.

The Cat's Ass TrophyThere has been one nominee for the CAT Award this week, that being actor Wesley Snipes, nominated by Garnett, for income tax evasion. Snipes has been convicted of the crime and has been sentenced to three years in prison.

A reminder that nominations remain open until Monday at noon for additional nominees. Look around, turn over a rock, check the garbage and if you come up with someone or something, feel free to nominate.

The Pictures: The animal world is the subject of today's photographs. Old Timer's prevents me from telling you that they're new, but they're new to me. I think you'll like 'em.

This Date In History: 1859; Work begins on the Suez Canal in Egypt; it opens in 1869. 1945; Delegates from 50 nations meet in San Francisco to organize the United Nations. 1956; Elvis Presley's "Heartbreak Hotel" hits number one on the music charts 1967; Governor John Love of Colorado signs the first law legalizing abortion in the United States.

Birthdays: Oliver Cromwell, English Revolution leader and Lord Protector of England (1599), Gugliemo Marconi, electrical engineer (1874), Edward R. Murrow, radio and television executive and commentator (1904), Ella Fitzgerald, jazz singer (1917), Al Pacino, motion picture and stage actor (1940).

The Hits Just Keep On Coming: The

A popular bar had a new robotic bartender installed. A guy came in for a drink and the robot asked him, "What's your IQ?" The man replied,"130." So the robot proceeded to make conversation about physics, astronomy, and so on. The man listened intently and thought, "This is really cool."

Another guy came in for a drink and the robot asked him, "What's your IQ?" The man responded, "120." So the robot started talking about the super bowl, dirt bikes, and so on. The man thought to himself, "Wow, this is fantastic."

A third guy came in to the bar. As with the others, the robot asked him, "What's your IQ?" The man replied, "80." The robot then said, "So, how are things in New Orleans these days?"

Three strangers strike up a conversation in the airport passenger lounge in El Paso, Texas, while awaiting their respective flights. One is an American Indian; another is a Texas cowboy; and the third passenger is a fundamentalist Arab student, newly arrived in the U.S. from the Middle East.

Their discussion drifts to their diverse cultures. Soon, the two Westerners learn that the Arab is a devout, radical Muslim and the conversation falls into an uneasy lull. The cowboy leans back in his chair, crosses his boots on a magazine table, and tips his big sweat-stained hat forward over his face. The wind outside is blowing, but still no plane comes.

Finally, the American Indian clears his throat and softly he speaks, "At one time here, my people were many, but sadly, now we are few."

The Muslim student raises an eyebrow and leans forward. "Once my people were few,"he sneers,"and now we are many. Why do you suppose that is?"

The cowboy shifts his toothpick to one side of his mouth, and from the darkness beneath his Stetson says in a smooth drawl, "That's 'cause we ain't played Cowboys and Muslims yet, but I do believe it's a-comin

That's it for today my little sweet peas. Have a great and safe weekend and more on Monday.

Stay Tuned !

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love all the pictures, Jimmy.  Wesley Snipes certainly is a fitting candidate for this weeks CAT award.  I mean, I like him as an actor but gosh...if I have to pay taxes why shouldn't he have to pay them?  And I don't have near the income that he has.  I got gas Tuesday and it was $3.65 and now today at the same station it's $3.71 for the regular unleaded stuff. Glad my Toyota gets good gas mileage.  I don't understand the run on rice either except maybe all the survivalists are stocking up for the end of the world. Have a good weekend & sing pretty. Linda in sunny western Washington state  

Anonymous said...

oh i got it, saki to ya!
hey if willie lost all his millions and started over, wesley only owed 2.7 million he can handle 3 years in prison!
as far as the rice commodities go in asia  they can't keep up with demand and the usa exports most of the world rice so the brokers are rising prices!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a great night! <wink>

I'm headed down to Orange Beach for the weekend. I'll be home Sunday night! Stop by if you're over that way!!

Jackie

Anonymous said...

"Follow the Yellow Brick Road"  hey, that's my line.  LOL

Robin

Anonymous said...

Loved your pictures! You look so handsome, and your date...is...well....HOT! You go Jimmy! Glad you had fun!
Pam

Anonymous said...

"Sake" it to me, baby!

Enjoy the weekend!

Beth

Anonymous said...

 She is lovely and I am sure you didn't mind the wait.  Loved the pictures today.

           Julie

Anonymous said...

What a cutie!!  Oh, and you too, my friend!  Sounds like you had a great time!  Food is soooo high these days...I don't know how people are feeding their families.  Its bad enough for me, and its just two of us!
xoxo ~myra

Anonymous said...

Great pictures glad you had a great time
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time and were able to take some pictures. :) Love the animal pics, but you know I am an animal lover, so theres no surprise! Good joke today. Hey, you know what. My husband and I were joking about the rice, because a couple of days before we heard about the rice deal we had bought four bags of organic white rice on clearance for seventy five cents a bag! LOL...so where was the shortage there? ;) Kelly