Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Big Band Sound !

They really don't have the big bands and orchestras of yesterday. For the most part, most promotors won't pay the monies necessary to support a large group of good musicians and with the musical egos of today, more performers are in the "me" frame of mind. There's still a number of good bands including Harry Connick Jr and The Brian Setzer Orchestra, both of whom have been featured here. You can still find the great bands on CD's like The Eagles, Chicago, The Doobie Brothers and many more who still produce quality sounds. All in all, I miss the "Big Band" sound. I'll keep my ears open to see if I can locate a few for you.

Today's artist is Bobby Darin, a terrific performer who died at an early age. Thankfully, he left a legacy of sounds for us including "Mack the Knife", today's selection. 

The Pictures: One of my favorite performers, today's featured artist, Bobby Darin. As always, I've added a select few for your viewing pleasure. They're viewed best if you enlarge the pictures (especially the remote picture), by simply clicking "view larger". I tried this tactic on a nude photo of myself, but it didn't work. 

This Date In History: 1775; Paul Revere begins his legendary midnight ride to Lexington and Concord, Massachusetts, to warn the patriots that British troops were approaching. He later formed a musical group named Paul Revere and the Raiders. 1906; An earthquake and subsequent fires ravage San Francisco, California, destroying most of the city's dowtown, except Haight-Ashbury, where most of the stoners just enjoyed the ride. 1949; Eire formally withdraws from the British Commonwealth and becomes the Republic of Ireland.

                                     

Birthdays: Lucrezia Borgia, patron of the arts  (1480), Clarence Darrow, American attorney (1857).

The Hits Just Keep On Coming: Enjoy these crazy kitties I found on my You Tube site. (Remember to either wait until "Mack the Knife" finishes or click the music off as the You Tube video has background music).  

                          

That's it for today, my crazy little kittens. I'm still searching for this weeks (A) award but candidates are sparse this week. See you tonight at Krystel's. More tomorrow.  

Stay Tuned ! 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the cat video! Thanks for the giggles this morning...
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Your right about the big band sound! With the technology out there today no one really wants the dedication of actually physically learning an instrument well. Then there is the platform of people who would be willing to pay for a band that big. When you have hacks out there willing to play for pennies, guess who they go for. I'm living with a very talented musician who plays lead guitar and teaches as well. I loved the cat video in a household of 4 of them, those antics are more common than not!! (Hugs)) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Well said about big bands and orchestras. There are very few venues that will support this kind of music anymore, and it's a pity. Cab Calloway, Count Basie, Louis Jordan, Louis Armstrong--and so many others--produced some amazing work with their swingin' bands, and this world could certainly use more of that!

Thanks too for spotlighting Bobby Darin. I'm a major fan, and in fact, I run a website devoted to his life, legend and legacy, http://DarinLand.com

You might find some of the interviews I've done interesting, including one with Perry Botkin, who was inspired by Count Basie when he arranged songs for Darin's "In a Broadway Bag" LP.