Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Race Is On

The West Virginia primary is today and it's considered to be a Hillary Clinton state, even by Obama, so I don't expect to see any startling results. The vultures, however, are circling over Hillary's "doomed" candidacy as the so-called "super delegates" in the Clinton camp are abandoning her like so many rats on a sinking ship. Whether Hillary bows out of the democratic race after West Virginia or keeps campaigning until the convention remains to be seen.

I really don't like any of the candidates, but I do have my preferences. In the democratic camp, I prefer the experience of Hillary Clinton over Barack Obama. Although considered by some to be a rock super star or the second coming of Christ, Obama is a wet behind the ears, first term senator with hardy aspirations. This isn't American Idol or the National Basketball Association playoffs. This is for the presidency of the United States of America.

The republicans have their nominee and I respect John McCain for his fortitude and for his service to this country while in the military. My concern with McCain is that he is a republican possibly taking over the reins of an eight year republican administration under dufus, 'Dubya' Bush.

The supporters of each democratic candidate seem to be divided in every possible way, black and white, male and female, young and old, the elite and the blue collar worker. The hidden bitterness between the two camps makes one think that no matter who becomes the democratic nominee, the other camp will either be apathetic in the National elections or switch parties in a form of protest. 

The Pictures: Since today's thoughts are sarcastically political, I might as well show you some of my political thoughts illustrated. It's kinda like Sports Illustrated without the swim-suit edition.

This Date In History: 1607; Jamestown, Virginia is founded. It is the first permanent English settlement in America. 1846; U.S. President James Polk signs a declaration of war on Mexico two months after fighting begins. 1918; The first U.S. airmail stamps, with a picture of an airplane and costing 24 cents are introduced. 1940; In his first speech before the British House of Commons, new Prime Minister Winston Churchill rallies the country to war saying, "I have nothing to offer by blood, toil, sweat and tears." 1981; Pope John Paul II is shot in the Vatican's Saint Peter's Square. He recovers after weeks in the hospital.

Birthdays: Sir Arthur Sullivan, composer (1842), Daphne du Maurier, writer (1907), Joe Louis, world champion heavyweight boxer (1914), Peter Gabriel, singer and songwriter (1950), Stevie Wonder, singer and songwriter (1950).

The Hits Just Keep On Coming: My pal, Garnett, was kind enough to send me the following story.

A young farm couple, Homer and Vera, got married and just couldn't seem to get enough lovin'. In the morning, before Homer left the house for the fields, they made love. When Homer came back from the fields, they made love and again at bedtime, they made love.

The  problem was their nooner. It took Homer a half hour to travel home and another half hour to return to the fields and he just wasn't getting enough work done.

Finally Homer asked the town doctor what to do. "Homer," said the doctor, "just take your rifle out to the fields with you and when you're in the mood, fire off a shot into the air. That will be Vera's signal to  come out to you. Then you won't lose any field time."

They tried Doc's advice and it worked well for a while until one day, when Homer came back to the doctor's office. The Doc asked, "What's wrong? Didn't my idea work?"

Homer said, "Oh, it worked fine. Whenever I was in the mood, I  fired off a shot like you said and Vera'd come runnin'. We'd find a  secluded place, make love, and then she'd go back home again."

The Doc said, "That's great, Homer, so what's the problem?" Homer said, "Ah might a trained her too good. I ain't seen her since huntin' season started."

Finally, from the great state of Washington, my pal, Linda, sent me a graphic of a man with perhaps only seconds to live.....

                   

That's it for today my little gummy bears. More tomorrow.

Stay Tuned !

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

 They haven't had anyone I was happy voting for ever I think.  There always seem to be something about each that I don't like, maybe the fact they are all politicians.   Love the jokes.  BTW, the time here is 6:34

                          Julie

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love the pictures !  "Driving Miss Hillary" LOL.   You know I have to admit, this whole political scene is really more scary than any other time in history.  I'm afraid if Hillary gets into the White House it will really be just a 3rd term for "Slick Willy."   If we leave here Oct 5th, driving to Southern California I won't even be here when my absentee ballot comes and we probably won't be home until the middle of November.   So I may not get to vote at all in the General Election.  That cartoon gets funnier each time I see it.   Linda in WA

Anonymous said...

Linda sent me that funny too...what a scream!

Anonymous said...

Slim pickings, I'd say...
xoxo ~Myra

Anonymous said...

the way I see it obama is fighting McCain , McCain is not fighting and Hillary is fighting against the media ,Obama and the Dnc so if she wins or loses I am respecting the fight in her , face it no one wants her to win, now I ask why not ? is it because she won't take their shit and do what is right or is it because she is a female lol
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Your pictures today are so funny..........I would call them SHOCK AND AWE!  Still laughing...............   Anne