Monday, December 17, 2007

Random Thoughts On A Chilly Monday - Batteries Not Included !

I had a great weekend with brother Kirt and sister Jeanne. Our  concert Thursday night, combined with the help of our musical director, Johnny Walker Black, left us a little out of sorts and somewhat subdued Friday night. It seems the old gray males , they ain't what they used to be !

Being the professionals that we are, however, we resumed Saturday night at sister Jeanne's house and brother Kirt smoked a chicken on the bar-b-cue. Needless to say, it was excellent. I tried smoking a chicken once, but I couldn't keep it lit and returned to smoking cigarettes. All in all, it was fun and great to get the family together again.

One thing that surprised me was the number of inane things that came to my mind on Sunday evening. I'm either entering into my second childhood or I'm ready for Uncle Charley's Home for over-the-hill journalists. I started remembering things like candy cigarettes, waxed lips, the Howdy Doody Show and weird stuff of the like.

So, although I know some of you don't always see the clues or messages, I did tell you Friday that there would be a test today. Don't panic, it's an open book exam and extra credit will be given for neatness.

1) Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts off men ?

2) Knock Knock,  ____ ____ ? 

3) _ _ _ _ - _ -_ _ _ _ , The San Francisco treat

4) Fee, Fi, Fo, _ _ _ ? I smell the blood of.......

5) Plop, Plop, _ _ _ _, _ _ _ _, Oh what a relief it is.

You may enter your answers in the comments section. Everyone who answers correctly will win an all expense paid (by you) trip to AREA 51.

The Pictures: Heroes, zeros and the answers to life ! Yes, my little sleuths, you just have to look for the Union Label because sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees. Am I mad? Yes, like a scientist.

This Date In History: 1653; Oliver Cromwell, a leader in the English Revolution and ruler of England since 1649, is proclaimed Lord Protector of England. 1773; Bostonians empty the holds of 3 tea-bearing British ships into Boston Harbor to protest the British tax on tea imported to the colonies. 1944; The Battle of the Bulge begins as the Germans advance into Belgium and Luxembourg. 1966; The United Nations adopts the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, and opens it to the general assembly for ratification. It becomes international law in 1976.

Birthdays: Ludwig van Beethoven, composer (1770), Jane Austen, English novelist (1775), Noel Coward, English playwright (1899), Margaret Mead, American anthropologist (1901), Arthur C. Clark, English science-fiction writer (1917).

The Miami Dolphins are now 1-13. By the way they celebrated Sunday's win over the lowly Baltimore Ravens you'd think they had just performed the world's first heart transplant. Huffing and puffing, rapping and tapping, rocking and a reeling, slipping and a sliding.

What? Taking the big bow, strutting over winning one crummy game? Well here's a Q and A about the pathetic Miami Dolphins.

Q) What do you call 47 millionaires around a TV watching the Super Bowl ? A) The Miami Dolphins.

Q) What do the Miami Dolphins and Billy Graham have in common? A) They can both make 70,000 people stand up and say 'Jesus Christ.'

Q) How do you keep a Miami Dolphin out of your yard? A) Put up goal posts.

Q) Where do you go in Miami in case of a tornado? A) To Dolphin Stadium - they never touchdown there.

 Q) What's the difference between the Miami Dolphins and a one dollar bill? A) You can still get four quarters out of a dollar bill.

Q) What do the Miami Dolphins and an opossum have in common? B) They both play dead at home and get killed on the road.

The Hits Just Keep On Coming:   As I Mature !

I've learned that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in.
 
I've learned that no matter that how much I care, some people are just assholes.
 
I've learned that it takes years to build up trust, and it only takes suspicion, not proof, to destroy it.
 
I've learned that you can get by on charm for about fifteen minutes. After that you'd better have a big willy or huge boobs.
 
I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think.
 
I've learned that you can keep vomiting long after you think you're finished.
 
I've learned that we are responsible for what we do, unless we are a celebrities.
 
I've learned that no matter how hot and steamy a relationship is at first, the passion fades, and there had better be a lot of money to take its place.
 
I've learned that 99% of the time when something isn't working in your house, one of your kids did it.
 
I've learned that the people you care most about in life are taken away from you too soon and the less important ones just never go away.

                      

That's it for today my little Christmas turkey basters . More tomorrow.

Stay Tuned !

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

1 The shadow knows
2 who's there
3 rice o roni
4fum
5 fizz fizz

Loved the loser tribute!

Anonymous said...

1) Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts off men ?
The Shadow

2) Knock Knock,  ____ ____ ?
Who's there

3) _ _ _ _ - _ -_ _ _ _ , The San Francisco treat
Rice-a-Roni

4) Fee, Fi, Fo, _ _ _ ? I smell the blood of.......
Fum

5) Plop, Plop, _ _ _ _, _ _ _ _, Oh what a relief it is.
Fizz Fizz

I work with some younger folks. They're great people, but it's always surprising when they don't get the references that us baby boomers make. We still tease one person, because a couple of us were talking about those white fake Christmas trees that had a multi-colored light flashing over them. She said, "Oh yeah...I saw something on the History Channel about those!" Needless to say, she will never live that one down....

:) Beth

Anonymous said...

I knew all the answers, trust me.........  Love all the pictures and still waiting to hear you sing.   What a great Christmas present that would be.


                      Julie

Anonymous said...

I knew all the answers, noticed your put hints to them throughout your pictures as well (winks). As for contemplating things from our childhood.....I've been doing a lot of that lately. Perhaps it's reminising about a simpler, happier time in life. I don't think kids today have any idea what they are missing out on....(Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

OK, i'm officially late here... but knew all the answers without looking at the clues...

Jacks