Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Say "Whensday" Yowza!

In preparation for tonight's run to AREA 51, I decided stop by Publix supermarket and pick up a few things for the weekend. As I browsed the store, I began to notice (mostly by weight and sight) that the contents of a lot of products has been reduced. I've known for almost two years now that the housing market was going bad and I remember telling my pal, Emilio, that the far reaching effects would raise food prices.

Since I buy what I need to buy, I haven't really noticed individual price hikes per se, only that my bill was running higher. This is the first time I actually noticed the packaging strategies now being used, i.e., down-sizing and less product per package. Bottom line, higher prices, less product.

In the meantime, it's Hump Day and trip to AREA 51, my definition of Disney World, is in order. I use that reference because you have to be a certain age and heighth to go on the fun rides and I occasionally qualify.

                           

Chinese manufacturers are in the news again as more than 6,200 babies are sick in China, dozens are suffering acute kidney failure and three babies have died, all from an additive being used in powdered milk called Melamine. It is normally used in plastics and was being added to powdered milk to make it appear higher in protein and to pass health inspections. Nice to see that the sorry bastards are putting financial gain ahead of children's health. I do not knowingly purchase anything made in China and don't intend to.

The Pictures: They're called driftwood horses and although I've shown them before, I ran across them again and I like 'em. I hope you enjoy them as well. As you know by now, there's also a few "different" ones too.

                                   

This Date In History: 1630; English Puritans led by John Winthrop establish a settlement on the Shawmut peninsula in the Massachusetts Bay Colony. The settlement is later named Boston, after the town of Boston in Lincolnshire, England. 1787; At the close of the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the delegates sign the new Constitution of the United States. 1796; U.S. president George Washington gives his Farewell Address,in which he declines to stand for a third term and warns the new nation to avoid entanglements with foreign governments.

1862; At Antietam. one of the bloodiest battles of the American Civil War, Union troops led by General George McClellan halt the northward drive of General Robert E. Lee's Confederate army. 1978; Egyptian president Anwar al-Sadat, Israel prime minister Menachem Begin and United States president Jimmy Carter agree on the Camp David Accords.

Birthdays: Rube Foster, baseball player (1879), Hank Williams, country music singer and songwriter (1923), Maureen Conolley. tennis player 1934 Orlando Cepeda, baseball player (1937), Phil Jackson, basketball player and coach (1945).

The Hits Just Keep On Coming:

If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to everything you say, talk in your sleep.

Jack said to Harry, "My wife is an angel." Harry replied,"You're lucky, mine's still alive."

At a cocktail party, one woman said to another, "Aren't wearing your wedding ring on the wrong finger. The other woman said, "Yes, I am. I married the wrong guy."

A man once said, "I never knew happiness until I got married. Then, it was too late."

A woman inserted an ad in the classifieds that read: "Husband wanted." The next day she received one hundred replies. They all said, "You can have mine."

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.

                                                                 Piss Off

That's it for today my little chick pees. More tomorrow.

Stay Tuned !

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The food people have been doing that for some time. Same price, smaller package...I guess they figure we're dumb & won't notice. However, if they kept the same size packed & increased the price, we wouldn't like that either.  There was a driftwood horse at the Fair...when I took a picture of it, I got yelled at (No Pictures!) Oh well, too late.  I continue to be amazed at the stupidity of China...do they think the crap their doing will go unnoticed by the rest of the world?  Be a good boy tonight! Linda in WA  

Anonymous said...

I agree, I too, have noticed the contents of a lot of products have been reduced.  Higer prices and less product.........the consumer always gets screwed!

It's hump day so I know you are out somewhere.............have a good time but be careful.

Hugs, Rose

Anonymous said...

    I am all for globalization, but not at the expense of anyone's health or employment.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

are you divorced, Jimmy?
I know it's none
of my business...

Anonymous said...

yep I noticed it sometime back I am so glad I stocked up on a few things but eventually I am going to have to bite the big one ,,
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Love the driftwood horses. Thanks for sharing them again because I didn't see them the first time. Paula

Anonymous said...

Publix is one of my favorite markets, but their prices seem to be higher...

Jackie