It's Friday and I've got news for you! I have no idea why I just wrote that but it sure sounded good. The fact is that it is Friday and I do, in fact, have news for you. I've been working on the TAC Award this week with help from my pals, Rose and Jackie.
The TAC (Thanks Alot Citizen) Award is basically an antithesis to the CAT Award. The intent is to award it to deserving individuals who go above and beyond the call of duty, be they well known or just one of the locals, and who do something which helps or benefits society. Although the spelling is not grammatically correct, the intent is quite correct and we're going to turn our heads to the grammar.
The idea was spawned when, in a previous entry, I praised the citizen who killed two thieves who were robbing his neighbor's home in Texas. In the comments section, Jackie mentioned that he should get a TAC Award (Thanks Alot Citizen), which was just a humorous remark and not in existence at the time. From there, things gathered momentum and here we are.
Developing the thought further, I decided that, with the help of my eagle-eyed readers, we could make suggestions each week as to deserving people. Although it's a serious award, it's birth came from humor and humorous nominees will be considered as well. Details as to how it will be organized are still a bit hazy in my mind (as is your ability to remember women's names! Shut up!). I'll have further details next week. In the interim, you can begin thinking of deserving nominees for next week.
This Is The TAC Award and I have decided to start things off by awarding TAC Awards to Jackie, author of Life In Bama, for the original idea and to Rose, author of Roses Are Read, for her help with the development of the icon. Congratulations, ladies.
The CAT Award has a nomination from Gary, author of Old Woody's Page. Gary has nominated Theodore Pressman, who left his 85 year old father, Joseph, in a Suzuki automobile in the hot sun with the windows up. Joseph Pressman succumbed to the heat and died.
Today's Social Jaunt into AREA 51 is being planned as we speak and as you know, I'm rearing to hit the streets because I missed Hump Day's activities. As Johnny Mathis would say, chances are that I'll be heading to Lakes Cafe and Pub for the karaoke show.
The Pictures: The news in pictures. Humorous yet poignant shots of current events. I got a kick out of them and I hope you do, as well.
This Date In History: 1804; Former U.S. vice president Aaron Burr shoots his political rival Alexander Hamilton, the former treasury secretary, in a duel in Weehawken, New Jersey. Hamilton dies the next day. 1979; Skylab, the first American space station, reenters the Earth's atmosphere after over six years in space, disintegrating over the Indian Ocean and Australia. 1987; The world's population reaches 5 billion, double the number of people on the planet in 1950.
Birthdays: Robert Bruce, Scottish liberator and king (1274), John Quincy Adams, 6th president of the United States of America (1767), Yul Brynner, actor (1915), Giorgio Armani, designer (1934).
The Hits Just Keep On Coming:
In a recent survey, people from Detroit have proved to be the most likely to have sex in the shower. In the survey, carried out for leading cologne firm "Brut", a huge 85% of Detroit residents said they have enjoyed sex in the shower. The other 15% said they had never been to prison.
Barack Obama, the presidential candidate, is for banning guns in America. At a recent rural elementary school assembly in East Texas, he asked the audience for total quiet. Then, in silence, he began to slowly clap his hands once every few seconds.
He said to the audience, "Children, every time I clap my hands, a child in America dies from gun violence." Little Billy Bob, with a proud East Texas drawl, stood up and said, "Well, dumb-ass, stop clapping your hands!"
News Flash: Washington, D.C. - A tragic fire on Thursday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. A presidential spokesman said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one.
That's it for today my little robert soxers. Have a safe and great weekend and more on Monday.
Stay Tuned !